View Single Post
      05-13-2019, 04:24 AM   #108
steker
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC
Also, strange tip: you can change the BMW icon to other brands icon, from carplay settings (it asks for a pin, it's 1123). No reason to do that, just saying xD
How.... do you know all these things

Maybe you know the following too, is there a way to turn off the steering wheel controls? Right now I have the following setup:

- Bluetooth: BMW iDrive
- Wifi: CarPlay
- Google Maps, Waze, etc: CarPlay (no sound, because BMW iDrive Bluetooth is selected and not AUX, which is fine, because normally I have these apps muted too)
- Phone: BMW iDrive audio and mic (but using the CarPlay Phone app to control it)
- Spotify: BMW iDrive Bluetooth audio (but using CarPlay Spotify app to control it)
- Radio: BMW iDrive normal radio

The reason I chose this setup is because the audio quality of the CarPlay unit is really bad in comparison to iDrive Bluetooth, so I really want to keep using Spotify, radio and phone the traditional way. Luckily in CarPlay you can still control your Phone and Spotify even though they are connected through Bluetooth with iDrive.

I always have the CarPlay screen showing. But when I for instance want to change the radio station, I use the steering wheel controls. When I scroll through the radio stations in the small info screen between the meters, the cursor in CarPlay also moves. And obviously when I want to select the radio station by clicking it, it also clicks the app or button that is selected in CarPlay. Same for selecting the next song in Spotify.

Now I just either back out of CarPlay to quickly switch radio station or use the iDrive controller to select a Spotify song in Now Playing or the CarPlay Spotify app. But it would be great if the steering wheel buttons would only work for iDrive and not CarPlay. Have you found a way to make that work?
Appreciate 0