View Single Post
      01-03-2018, 05:46 AM   #21
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
I see. I would probably be fine to stay in this car for quite a while but I think the price I can buy it for @ lease end will be way too high to consider it. True market used value on a 2016 328 spec'd like mine in the fall of 2019 will likely be about $22000. That'd be a swell price. But the residual value is... $31500. Hahahaha! Epic. This is the thing. Can't have the cake and eat it too and all of that. I pay $367 a month on a $49000 car because the ridiculously imaginary residual value they set on this thing. They're like "shit, we have a TON of 328's we need to move, make the RV 68%!" So you get a sweet deal on the front end lease and no hope of ever buying the car if you wanted to. They kind of shoot themselves in the foot w/that though because I am a buyer in place, ready to buy. For some reason, they would rather take my car back, 'certify it' which is basically a glorified 30 minute inspection, cuz guess what there is nothing wrong with a 3 year old car with 30k miles on it and then let it sit on some dealer lot for x amount of months while they try to sell it. Or they could sell it to me but they'd never actually sell it to me for what its going to be worth. Bizarre sales model.

So am I instead going to buy a CPO 328 somewhere for $22k? No, why on earth would I do that, when I could just lease a G20 or whatever else. This is the trap my friend, this is the trap. Or I could have bought this car and had like a $850 car payment for 4 years.. Yeah, sweet, sounds great, sign me up!Then after its finally paid off I'm paying through the nose for my aging 3 series maintenance and repair.

I can see your approach making sense for a buy but the whole point of a lease in my view is its a cheap way, in the short term, to drive a nice car and comes with some other inherent benefits, already discussed in length in other threads. The way you get really cheap leases is by getting cars off lots. Special order you'll never get the same deal. End of the day, IMHO, a preciously spec'd 3 series with the options being 'just so' is hardly different than myriad cars on dealer lots, not to where it warrants paying more money. Like, sure I could have my same car with top view camera or ACC or fine ostrich seating surfaces but end of the day, theyre all the same damn car.

To buy and hold for many years though, I would absolutely special order.
It's a different animal trying to buy or lease a RWD model out of dealer inventory anywhere near the midwest. I had to do my test drives while traveling to southern California for work, as you can't find crap for sport specd RWD models. Forget about finding something to negotiate a decent deal on. If I wanted an xdrive 328 with tons of tech, I could use your method, but it really is a different market than in you area. I was super excited to browse dealer inventory in California. Here each dealer is a depressing lot full of the same executive company car crap unless you are looking for an M car, and even then your selection is very limited.

I could count on 1 hand the number of cars that were even anywhere near a car that would suit me, and that's considering all inventory within several hours of a major metropolitan area. For a decent deal on a properly specd BMW you are in the heart of the worlds buyers market. Keep in mind that is probably not the reality for nearly all other regions throughout the world.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT

Last edited by metallicpea; 01-03-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0