Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
ArthurKing I expect you've already checked the Planning Portal for your area, but this is what the Herts portal states with respect to garage conversions : "Planning permission is not usually required, providing the work is internal and does not involve enlarging the building. If your intention is to convert a garage into a separate house (regardless of who will occupy it), then planning permission may be required no matter what work is involved."

Building Regs approval is a 'must' for several reasons, but should be easy as long as the the requirements insulation, wiring, any plumbing (may not be part of your requirements), means of escape, etc, have all been satisfied.
Permitted development has been removed from our estate when it was built, I found the original documents on the planning portal from 2014. This means I would need full planning to convert the garage and I am sure they would say no due to it only leaving one parking space on the drive for a 3 bed house.

I have emailed planning and will call them again today, I just want a quick answer as to whether its going to be allowed based on their rules. I really don't want to pay £180 for a pre planning meeting only for them to tell me no, you can't do it due to parking.

If they say no, I will likely just get the door put in from the lounge to the garage anyway and then just add a room anyway with the proviso that I would likely need to take it down if we came to sell.

A house on our road has converted the rear of his into a garden playroom as his is detached but he did not get planning permission as there is no application I can find, plus he has just sold it and advertised it as a garden room.

hi
When we moved into our current house(last remaining home in a batch of new homes)there was a clause specifically preventing garage conversion in the contract.
I contacted the developers lawyer who responded that they don't enforce it after they have completed sales and left site.
Building Regulations are a must from what I understand and so is a certificate of completion.
If you had a fire etc it would be tough explaining that to your insurance company and its also handy when you sell.
Appreciate 0