View Single Post
      05-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
sleedawg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i & 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Moreover, oddly, the average driver will use less than 50% of maximum braking available - even in an emergency.
I don't know where you got the 50% maximum braking available number even in an emergency. I don't know anyone who doesn't stand 100% on the brake when there's a vehicle stopped in front of them and they're in the situation of "OMG it's almost too late." Thus why ABS was created because idiots stood on the brakes instead of threshold braked.

But let's just say if the average driver only use 50% of the maximum braking available and there are two choices...

1) Car that stops in 109 ft
and
2) Car that stops in say 119 ft

That's a difference of 10 ft. Now that's at threshold 100% maximum braking. Now if the average driver only uses 50%, then you would add distance to it. So, let's say 3-5 ft as it's not a linear progression or 13 to 15 feet. That's a full BMW f30 3-series car length you just smashed through.

Brakes, tires and suspension in my mind is in the category of safety equipment for me especially in higher HP cars. These are places where good enough or capable is not acceptable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Tires and brake pads will be the most cost effective way to get these cars to stop quicker. Even the european market factory pad would probably get you better stopping distances. Do I want these performance brakes... hell yes. But can I justify the price when a set of pads will do 99.999% as well for that 1 emergency braking... not really.
Appreciate 0