View Single Post
      07-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Car Accident in NYC.

So, I live in NY and had my F36 brought in from California.

My opinion on NY is you can never drive a nice car because of its drivers.

So this occurred yesterday afternoon around 6 PM.
I was in Coney Island by a restaurant where I had placed an order for take out and briefly stepped out to pick up the food.

Inside, as I had paid for the food, I heard a commotion and looked to see my girlfriend, who was the passenger, get out of the car flipping out.
So naturally, I stepped outside to see what was going on and seen that there was a school bus that had collided with my F36.

Not even a month since I had the car mind you...

So I went around and seen the damage of the vehicle and ushered the bus driver to pull over and I was walking besides the bus.

I called 911 and had told them what happened and awaited for the police to arrive. The bus driver went on to tell me that he was going to lose his job, this was his second accident blah blah blah..
What makes me the most angriest is he tried to guilt trip me by saying that he was ready to kill himself, to get out of NY, had a divorce, etc. I had 0 care for a reckless driver, especially a children school bus driver who would drive like that. I had asked him what happened after him and my girlfriend got into an argument and he told me that he was swerving through a car in front to pass him but didn't see my car by the way he was sitting. He told me he had just left his boss's house and he had warned him to put the seat up because he didn't have a clear vision on the right side.

When the police arrived, it was a male and a short female and the first thing they did was go to speak to the bus driver. After the conversation, the female officer was the only one that walked over to me and she had a grin, which I have no idea why.. So I decided to make things straight with whatever bullsh*t they heard and I presented the video. She goes and proceeds to tell me "you're not supposed to be double parked". I looked at her in disgust and thought, are you really trying to justify this asshole's mistake by saying I was double parked? Are you kidding?

My girlfriend had heard the male officer tell the bus driver, in his defense, can say that I was double parked.

What a fucking joke, @nypd.

The reason why I am posting here is, my insurance is kicking me out at the end of this month due to my given driving record history, which I had 3 accidents prior to this, one was where I was rear ended on the highway (not at fault), one time which was a minor one where I had no experience and notified the insurance like an idiot and the last one where a drugged out pedestrian in my neighborhood had decided to jump in front of my car on a rainy day and catch a lawsuit from me.

Luckily, this happened before my insurance with Geico was up as it ends at the end of July, but I need to know what my options are. I am currently awaiting for the police report and then proceed with his insurance.

Is this considered partially at fault as well? I never had an experience where I wasn't in the car physically and is it better in the state of NY if I am in the vehicle?

I also wanted to mention at the time, my steering wheel was straight but after the impact, it had moved my vehicle sideways and when I walked in the car, my steering wheel was spun all the way to the right. I did attempt to drive and now, the transition between comfort and sport mode feels different, and the RPM seems to stick around on 2 and not move.

Is there a body shop around NYC that my fellow bimmerpost know that can help me fix or replace the damages, have the engine and steering inspected? As well as maybe a way to get some money on the side? I don't even have a NY inspection sticker, that's how new it is. I also have a M-Performance Exhaust I purchased from a fellow member here and would like to have it installed as well as a resonator delete.

Is there a shop that can assist me with all this, taking advantage of the other parties' insurance? I know there are shops that can help fully take advantage of insurance and get a nice pay out but I want to take the full advantage of that asshole's insurance.

Following are the pictures of the accident:
View post on imgur.com

I was able to obtain a video footage of the accident as well, but I'm not sure how to upload it here, so if anyone wants to chime in, PM me your number and I'll send over the video.

This blows.

Thank you in advance,
Jay.

------------------------------------------------
Update: (7/23/2017)

The owner of the bus company wants to meet today and go by a couple of shops and he's offering to pay for the damages.

Should I do that or should I pursue his insurance instead? Just in case something more pops up and I need it paid for.

------------------------------------------------
Update 2: (7/23/2017)
Essentially, Geico said I am not at fault, but if I go through on my coverages, I would have to pay my $1,000 deductible.

I was hoping to find a shop that can help me not pay my deductible and repair my vehicle. Last time, I was in the rear ended accident in my mom's Altima, the body shop waived the $1,000 deductible and I got to keep the $1,000 deductible Geico went and received at Nationwide (the other party). I was hoping to see if I can do the same. The reason why I'm not going back to that body shop though, is because I found out they used cheap materials to repair the car. I can't have the same happening with my car.

Can anyone assist in Brooklyn area?
I want to be able to install my exhaust and remove my resonator as well with the repairs.

Last edited by OchoChino; 07-23-2017 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Bus Driver willing to pay.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50