FaRKle!
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 328d Wagon, '21 M2 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Many drivers choose to track their vehicle with stock brakes but I would not recommend it. Tracking places tremendous demands on brakes (especially calipers) and to manage heat dissipation properly requires ... well properly designed brakes.

My favorite brakes for tracking: AP Racing Radi-CAL, now available in a newer upgraded version as Radi-CAL 2. Do some research first ...
Dude, he's a beginner, no way he needs a BBK. If he had extensive track experience he wouldn't even be asking the questions he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I would keep the rotors as long as they are in good shape. Get some new pads and fluid. If it's your first go on the track just take it slow and work up to doing the late braking etc. The brakes are very capable and the rotors are huge (370mm). Get into a HPDE with good instructors (BMW CCA) and they will be able to guide you very well in the capabilities of your car. Also take your car to be inspected at a shop that deals with track cars so they can head off any issues. The dealer isn't the place to deal with these issues.
I agree with this. New fluid will definitely help. I used the OE fluid my first track day and got a longer pedal as the day went on. Higher boiling temp fluid will prevent that (I use SRF now).

Your brake pad thicknesses are getting to the point where they're fine for the street, but for the track you might consider getting new pads (although you could probably run them on the track and be fine). The rotors are definitely fine. Your pad choice will depend if you want a dedicated track pad or looking at a dual-use compromise.
Appreciate 0