kevinb21
as long as it runs :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i/ e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btdubs1 View Post
Wow am I ever glad I found this thread!

So around a week ago I ordered a CIC MMI box for my 2012 f30 - after doing some more digging regarding the setup process I’ve come across a few people who run into the 6 pin CIC issue. I pulled off my screen and low and behold - 6 pins!

Luckily - AliExpress hasn’t shipped my order yet so I was able to cancel.

I’ve read through the whole thread but have a few questions here before moving forward with purchasing the road top unit

1. Can you guys confirm based on the attached photos that I’m dealing with the same situation as everyone else in this thread (6pin CIC/CIC_high)
2. If this is the case, is this the right box to be going with - with the mic tap and everything else needed included? https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOchrct
3. I’m regards to the mic tap process, can someone go into detail what that entails? If I want to use the OEM mic do I have to run up the A pillar to tap into it? Or is it just a connection I can do on the back of the head unit
4. With the box I sent , I’ve seen a few people say they need to run an aux cable and a few say it’s plug/play. Will I have to pull up my centre console trim and run an a cable from the box to the AUX in port? Or am I misunderstanding here

Thanks in advanced guys! So grateful this thread exists at all, nevermind it being so recent.
Ok, you have a cic high head unit. You will be running an aux to your center console where there is an aux in but don't worry you will not need to pull your console or anything like that you simply take off the trim where your I drive controller is and the little rubber in your center console Bin and run it there. Keis Motorsport has an excellent video with more information on that. You need to buy an nbt CarPlay unit that HAS AN EXTERNAL AUX OUT, you will not get Audio if you use a nbt unit with integrated audio to the quad lock!!! . I couldn't confirm the link you sent had that but If you go through the thread and find the one I bought on Amazon I know that unit has the external aux you need. I beleive the one I got was a road top unit? Not sure. Just dig through the thread and you'll see it. As for the mic you have 2 options. Run a new mic like I did or go and do the tap with the factory mic. To tap the factory mic you will be doing it straight from the mic not from the back of your head unit. The keis motorsport video has excellent details on how you can do that. I originally had concern about the cic vs nbt controller protocol but turns out it's not a problem and your nbt unit will work great with your 6 pin nbt 8.8in display. Let this video help you
Appreciate 0