View Single Post
      12-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #131
BreeeZe
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (F30)

Hi all,

I also own a 2012 F30 with CIC_HIGH with 8.8” display and have tried 2 different options to get carplay to work.

In 2018 I ordered a carplay kit from ali for a CIC system, the seller told me it would be compatible with my car but off course this kit had a 4 pin lvds connector for the display and gave a ‘no signal’ error...
After that one I got the carplay mmi from bimmertech, which did work, but had horrible picture quality, it looked like there was an extra digital to analog conversion going on, the colors looked like a console system on a composite video connection.
Also the audio was really flat and dissapointing..

So I kind of gave up on carplay then, but recently I’ve been looking around and found this thread.

I saw woodcutter mention that in order to get the audio to work, you need to order a unit with a separate aux connection because aux spliced into the connector on the cic does not work.
I’ve been googling around and found a possible solution to that problem:
The cic unit DOES have aux on it’s block connector, but on our cars this input is disabled because we have the combox installed, however it should be possible to enable this input again by coding it.
source: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=25

(full thread -> https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1569700)

I also found something interesting about the microphone input, I re-read the bimmertech installation manuals for their MMI box, they have a version for units with and one without combox, and only the installation for the combox version needs the aux cable and the microphone splitter cable, they both use the same MMI model and rest of the cables.
So it seems that, with a combox installed, both AUX en microphone inputs on the CIC_HIGH unit are disabled, which makes sense, they come from the combox.
At least the AUX input should be codable, but possibly also the microphone input

Did any of you get a NBT carplay kit with audio through the block connection, and if yes, can you test if this works?
Because I’m curious if there is any quality difference when using this aux input instead of the on in the armrest (which has extra resistors and capacitors)

Edit: jared21927 I saw you mention in this thread you use BT for audio because your kit does not have a separate aux connector, is this correct? which kit did you get?

Last edited by BreeeZe; 12-02-2020 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0