Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand why you wouldn't immediately disclose as suggested by Sedan_Clan.
...because he wants to get treated like an armed felon, pulled out of his vehicle, put into handcuffs and put into the back of a patrol unit pending investigation. It's where all law abiding citizens want to be.

</sarcasm>
If you recall, I asked the question at the beginning of this thread about how to "break the ice" when stopped by an officer in a state where CCW holders are *not* required by law to declare that they are carrying at the beginning of a police encounter!

There is a commonly-held belief among the 2A folks in NY State (not to be confused with the City of the same name that has even wackier gun laws) that concealed means concealed. They believe that there is no need to volunteer the information when exercising a federal right for the very reason that Sedan_Clan has sarcastically outlined, but you are obligated to answer honestly if the officer asks.

I keep my CCW card right next to my drivers license in my wallet. If I was ever stopped (carrying or not), I would hand both to the officer so the card is in their hand before I verbally mention the "trigger" word. If you knew how many hoops and background checks you have to jump through to get/keep a CCW in NY State, just having the card in the officer's hand has to be worth something in diffusing a tense situation knowing that he/she is dealing with a well-vetted person. (FWIW, NY State is *not* a must-issue state, and we have ZERO reciprocity with CCW licenses from *any* other state...not even a lockbox in the trunk passing through.)

Since the State Police are the agency charged with tracking all CCW licenses, I would go into any traffic stop situation under the impression that this tidbit is flashing in big red letters on a computer screen in the patrol car from just punching my plate number in before the stop. Best to be up front, carrying or not.....
So on one hand you make a statement about informing (..mentioning that some states don't require you to inform at all), only to turn around and state that you inform. If you're providing your CCW to an officer along with your license and vehicle registration, you've informed. I answered the question in the manner that I did because of the way your response was worded.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615143.50