hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
I believe (based on talking to my sound guy) is that majority of actual noise is coming from under the car, so until you insulate the whole floor, rear arches and front arches, you won't see any NOTICEABLE improvement in sound. Car is pretty ok actually overall, but no double glazing on windows is another issue what you wont' be able to solve, and which could improve quietness levels. Im getting my sounds system replaced currently, so I asked all these questions also and thats the answer I heard, paraphrasing it here just.

Yes, but I've opted out of insulating the entire floor, it's just too much work. What I've come to realize is that the roads around where I live are REALLY rough, in order to withstand both the climate and the high levels of traffic (I live just outside Oslo in Norway). Recently I drove on some mountain roads that were built for way less traffic and it was almost silent in comparison. I actually measured the dB level, and the sound level at 110km/t on those mountain roads was the same as at 60km/t on my local roads.

So the road surface has a big impact on the sound level. And the worst roads (which apparently is what I have around me) is probably really difficult to insulate against.
Appreciate 0