View Single Post
      02-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #28
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I used the 340i for my normal commute today, as Mrs Tengocity is going to use the 330e for a few weeks till she starts her new job. It's my usual 70 mile each way journey so good for comparing to the various previous cars I've had over the last few years in similar circumstances.

Plenty has been written about the 40i engine, so not a whole lot new here really, but my random thoughts and observations in no particular order:

Cold start wasn't as loud as I'd expected, but possibly because the M4 is fairly ridiculous in that regard

Suspension is remarkably soft and comfortable, probably a little too soft for my liking in comfort setting (or whatever it's called). It'll be interesting to see what it's like on it's 19" summer tyres, but I suspect I will drive in sports suspension mode mostly.

Handling is still decent though, and leagues better than the original 335d suspension. I realise that I quite liked the VSS that I had, and in time I will look to a thicker rear ARB, and some extra front camber and alignment settings to change the balance a little, and have a sharper front end.

The sunroof makes less noise than my old 335d Pano roof did. I used to have the blind closed mostly as there was wind noise even if roof was closed, but blind open... I thought they all did that, but this new one doesn't at all.

Turn of pace was used for a little overtaking... the ZF8 is such a great gearbox, and better than the M DCT for most daily usage (a little lacking only when really on it). So smooth, yet fast, and always in the right gear. But the best thing is that engine. Feels like it has the BMW straight six DNA- so smooth and cultured sounding, but has decent reach and punch. Completely different character to the M4 engine, and so much more character than a 4 pot or a diesel.

I'd heard plenty times the economy was great and it didn't disappoint, averaging 37mpg each way today over 140 total miles. That's 30% better than the M4 doing the same, and about 1-2mpg behind what I used to get from the 335d. Of course, it's way behind the 330e, which does 65mpg... But it's well worth it!

If it can do that over one of my longer journeys to Scotland then could almost get from Oxford to Perth on the 1 tank, which would be handy for avoiding motorway service station fuel costs.

Fundamentally it's great to be back in a F31, and it really feels like home. We did 113k in our first one, and love the idea of doing same again in this one.

Thanks to Grant_7 once again for speccing such a lovely car, and looking after it so well.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 7
mcoops1757.00
Grant_72020.50
mikeoz2856.00
Lorcan3609.00
LobB5109.00