06-16-2020, 03:22 AM   #40
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
As well as the diff, and Bootmod3, I've also done the XHP transmission flash, which has gone hand in hand with BM3 to unlock the inner hooligan in this otherwise very unassuming looking car!

Put in to sport+, and the thing is an absolute rocket ship! I'd say it's the match of the M4 from 2000 to 5000rpm, with the M4 top end noticeably sharper and stronger at the upper revs. It's also much more linear, feeling less obviously turboed than the 340i with a flash tune. Anyway, overtaking urge is superb, and with the gearbox reflexes going up a couple of notches it really does give the car a whole different personality with a button press.

It's smooth and docile when you want, and hooligan when the road and conditions are right.

What's also helped is some new M Performance discs, and OEM M4 brake pads, so everything is looking brad new, and the pads giving a fair bit more bite and stopping power. More than good enough for spirited road use for me.

Also fitted is some ACS sports springs and dampers, with EDC coded out, and a thicker rear ARB. They've been excellent, and have retained the excellent ride comfort, but added in a whole new level of body control over the standard adaptive set up.

In comparison to the ACS RS kit I had before on the 335d, I would say they are an excellent halfway house, and feel just how you imagine the BMW engineers would have the car if the accountants didn't budget for cheap dampers. So it feels very OEM. The RS kit was a bit firmer, but also a lot flatter in corners, and genuinely takes handling to a new level, but I think this set up would suit 80-90% of folk best. They're good for how we will use this car (wife's car and all round daily usage), but if I'm honest, if it was just me driving the car and didn't have the M4 as well, then I'd rather have the RS kit.

So that's the suspension (springs, dampers, rear ARB), a M Performance LSD, bootmod3 flash tune plus XHP transmission flash, slightly uprated brakes, MP interior, MP rear spoiler and diffuser.... and one almighty good all rounder.

Only other things I might still do is add a towbar; maybe try some 437 wheels with 245/265 tyres.

The only thing I really would like to improve is the front end, so make turn in a little better. The bigger tyre up front might help (at the cost of more road noise and fuel consumption I'm guessing), or I could try and adjustable top mount/and or M3 lower arms, so that I've got more camber and a stiffer bushing. However, I don't think it's a priority given how little driving I'm doing these days, and that I can jump in the M4 if I want that kind of handling.
Got any photos of the rear wing?
Appreciate 0