Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30vince View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Are you planning on keeping the car past February 2022, as that's when ATT will shut off 3G? If not, then there's no reason to install a new combox.
We'll probably be keeping the car for awhile. I know Verizon is shutting down 3G at the end of the year, and isn't allowing 3G or non-VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) device activations any longer. Not sure about T-Mobile or AT&T.

We also have a (Jeep) Grand Cherokee, and it has 3G connectivity in the "U-Connect" system, although it uses Sprint's network, and they're ALSO shutting down 3G at the end of the year. Oddly enough, they offered me a subscription that popped up on the screen the other day (I don't currently pay for the services in my Jeep, only my F30). I know I won't be able to do my Grand Cherokee, but if they ever had the update, I'd probably do it since I get a lot of use out of it.

On both cars, the 3G is used for OTA (Over-The-Air) firmware updates, and if 3G is shut down, there will be no more OTA updates.
BMW does not use Verizon, Sprint or TMobile so what they do has zero effect on BMW Connected Drive and its features.
Appreciate 0