View Single Post
      09-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #506
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
"TU1 is still the B58" GOOD LUCK telling yourself that, no one with an engineering degree, not the least the FIA, would look at the list of changes and call it THE SAME ENGINE. Cry me a river because BMW has improved the inherent B58 weaknesses. What, you think they did all that for free, bona fide? And another thing, I suspect you have no technical, engineering background, or you would not advance preposterous premises.

"What catastrophic fixes are you referring to?" ALL THOSE THAT RESULTED IN HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS of VIN recalls or warranty replacement, in the EU, North America, Asia, related to piston failure or thermodynamic issues (jargon- overheating). Now, if you want to dive in, go look for user testimonials, befriend Sr mechanics at a BMW service centre, they will let you know. OR READ THE BLOODY PUMA NOTICES FOR B58..

Either case, TU1 redesigned thermodynamic and structural failure points- SOMETHING N55 never had to do. Oh wait, do you think the S55 WAS THE SAME as the N55 even though based on similar architecture? keep thinking that
As far as I'm aware the only update is
1. A rockguard to protect the radiator
2. Improve fuel delivery system
3. Tweaks to be able and comply with EU standard which reduces the overall engine power.

The core engine is still the same.

The crankshaft barring issue that you mention all occur on manual something that not even an option anymore for the b58
Appreciate 0