View Single Post
      10-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #33
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Finally Killed the Rattle!

For about a year now I've been fighting a rattle in my driver's door. It had a weird trait where if I rolled my window down just a tad (like a couple of millimeters, and before the seal breaks), the rattle went away. It sounded like the door lock pin rattling in the card, but I've taken that part of the door apart so many times and felt taped and secured anything loose in it so many times that I knew it isn't that. I'd even gone further into the door too and secured/zip tied all of the cables for the door latch mechanism and comfort access.

This past weekend I was trying to see if anything else on the door could be loose and noticed that I could wiggle the trim on my B-pillar a bit. It made a bit of a popping noise, and could sound like what I was hearing while in the car.

To get to the B-pillar trim you have to pull the weather stripping out. The official procedure instructs you to remove the mirror and then pop off the window trim at the bottom of the window before removing the weather stripping, but you can pull it out enough to reach the 4 torx screws holding the B-pillar trim without doing all that.

Weatherstripping pulled away to show mounting holes for B-pillar trim

After taking all the screws out I was able to push the B-pillar trim onto the door frame more securely, making sure the U-shaped channel on the trim was on there tight, and while holding it there re-secured it with the torx screws.

Backside of B-pillar trim U-channel that goes on door
Appreciate 0