View Single Post
      10-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Walt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i m-sport

Exhaust valve question

I put my exhaust valve back on. I had it completely unbolted before.

It is in the open position when the car is off. When the car starts, it closes right away for about 30 seconds. Once the idle has settled, it opens back up. There are different emissions reasons why perhaps this might be the right way, but it is contrary to what most people have been saying.

There is only one way to put it on (it has to match the valve's clockwise position when the actuator is clockwise). Otherwise it would not be able to turn at all. So it is not bolted on backwards or anything.

At normal idle, in any mode, after 30 seconds, it is always open. I want to make sure the valve isn't somehow electrically backwards, because if it really does open at full throttle, then in my case it would close it.

Can someone please confirm by looking into the exhaust with a flashlight? Is the valve in the open position when the car is off, and closes right away on start-up? The car was not really cold when I was looking at this.

I noticed that even with the exhaust valve wired open like I had it, it would sound noticeably quieter after a bit, so please try not to go off of sound.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0