View Single Post
      09-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #129
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
sooo whats the verdict on the sway bars then?
i was going to get H&R, then flipped to Eibach, now not sure as the KC design ones could be good too?

my purpose is for a track orientated setup - but i dont want it to be 'dangerous' for the road. I do not drive enthusiastically on public roads so not bothered about road performance, as long as its safe enough for motorways, quick lane changes and going to the shops then that would be fine.

i would say that even without an LSD, if i stick it in sport+ to allow some slip, and floor it coming out of a wide right hand turn from a standstill at a traffic light - the rear will 'wobble'. No steering correction needed, but there is that 'floaty weighty wobble' - maybe the B14 kit i've ordered will remedy some of that - its fine on track and enjoyable, but i wouldn't want to make that 'worse' on the road.
i suppose my only concern is putting a stiff rear sway will make the back more 'sketchy' - but then i'll be adding a considerably stiffer front Sway too, so the effect should balance out?

in which case, maybe H&R is best for me?
what do you guys think
I don't think sway-bars will fix breaking the rear free like you described as that is forced. If you are worried about oversteer get a larger swaybar in the front. All this said, BMWs are generally designed to slight understeer so most should be looking to stiffen the rears. I would highly suggest adjustable sways like Lancelot mentioned unless you know what you are doing and it has nothing to do with brand or solid vs hollow it is all in the spring rates and for most that is touchy feely. In the hollow vs solids, solids are heavier by weight and really not by much at all but do protect tubular steel from buckling since recall a sway is not a straight piece of hollow tube.
Appreciate 0