10-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #17
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estblue340 View Post
I've never noticed any rubbing on hard cornering. Other than that, is there any downside on having high positive angle? The steering feel really heavy, but the car is really stable at high speed and on hard braking which is a plus for me.

I've check your video on tension strut replacement (well done btw).

you're saying that BMW recommend to replace the tension bolt before putting back the tension arm on the subframe. Could it be the reason why the bolt would loosen up ? could i put some locktight instead of putting a new bolt to prevent further loosening up ?
Aside from rubbing, I don't think there's much downside to having high caster angle. That said I would check where the arm/monoball is sitting relative to the subframe surrounding it with that much angle. I had a shop one time that adjusted the monoball such that the bolt was more towards the bottom and the main mass of the monoball/arm was on top, and that allowed the arm to contact the subframe on some bumps making a terrible noise. So, make sure there's enough room for deflection of that assembly, because it does move a bit.

BMW recommends replacing the bolt because it's a torque to yield bolt, so they set it to fastening torque, and then stretch the bolt. In my experience if you properly set it to fastening torque (or just a bit higher), things are OK, but anything a bit under fastening torque, and I've seen them loosen. I've never had one of those bolts loosen after I personally torqued it, but have had it loosen a couple times after other shops did it...

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0