04-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #45
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Used a microfiber applicator and some w205. The ol college try resulted in some smooth paint and almost no swirls - quite happy with the results. Keep in mind the car is 3 weeks old.

Anyway - I'll checked out the machine that another member recommended.
Two things. Depending on what level of perfection you are going for, I would love to see a flash test of your finished results. The flash test is the tell all of tell all. When you see what your paint looks like after the flash test, I bet that you will QUICKLY start looking for a polisher because there ain't no way in Bethlehem that you are going to get the results by hand that you will get with a machine.

Here's what the flash test did for another person who THOUGHT that his paint looked good. He TOLD me it was flawless, although he had NEVER washed it with water (only a waterless product like ONR). He also bought his towels in bulk from Costco, because they were the best towels that he had ever used bar none. I told him to bring me his car and when he pulled up, I could immediately see his damage. He couldn't, because he was stilled plugged into the paint Matrix. Here's what I saw:

Then I unplugged him from the paint Matrix and opened his eyes with "the flash test." Here's what HE saw, and everyone standing around because they were curious too:

Them swirls showed up like scattering roaches when the light comes on!

Needless to say, he about broke his jaw when it hit the ground. I never unplug a mind before it's time so I don't share what I know with everyone. But if I feel a person is ready for the truth, I will let them know. Since we are all here because we care about the appearance of our cars, I feel that anyone reading this is ready to be unplugged (if they haven't already as some of you have ). So if you really think your paint looks good after what you've done, now you know how to find out the truth.

By the way, I took a polisher and went over that spot ONCE. Here's what it looked like after just one pass. His daughter was tickled pink. She was pretty hot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Three week old car and your already getting swirls out...oh shit..time to find out the right way to wash your car. Junkman can help you with that.
That was the first thought that came to my mind too!

Quote:
So, new cars come with swirls? Is that an option? Or can you choose: swirl delete.
Not saying you particularly made the swirls--maybe took it too some wash and almost none of those guys let you out swirl free. The only way is to wash yourself--actually I made some swirls in my car recently drying with those crap towels from China I have. Junkman, cleared that up for me.
Yea, those cheap China towels sold at the auto stores are like 6000 grit sandpaper. I wouldn't wish that crap on my worse enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysn View Post
Whenever I go to dealerships, I like to check out the new cars for a couple reasons: to check them out and to see the swirls on them. You'd be surprised at how many of these new cars already come with swirls somehow. It's ridiculous. Even at the Porsche dealership, a new panamera GTS had some swirls in the paint.
You should give them the baggy test too. It would blow you away how bad of a shape the paint is on a brand new car sitting on a dealership lot.

Quote:
Those "cheap" China towels are not cheap..I bought mine for 9$ each and I have two of them. I already have a bunch of even cheaper micros I use for exhaust tips and wheels...Bummer....lot's of this stuff is trial and error. My towels from the rag company are due to arrive monday..then the palm test.
OMG. Brother, somebody saw you coming if you paid that much. Wait until you get your new towels. You will be kicking yourself for days.