10-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #33
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
I'm in the Capital. We don't get loads of snow and it may only be one or two days a year. However, my driveway is flat and level. With any more than a few inches of snow, my RWD car would snake and just slide off the drive. It was like pushing string. I have been caught out driving home when it started snowing and hills are a challenge in the same respect. Sure snow tyres are the proper solution and I'd rather have RWD with snow tyres than AWD without in adverse weather but I can't be bothered with changing them.
Anyway as I said in my OP, it's not for snow that I have xDrive. The daily advantages make it worth every penny.

BTW, it's not the first time that I've read comments like "are you in the remote highlands of Scotland" on this forum implying that is the only area in the UK that gets snow. Each year it's the chaos in England that's featured on the news when there is the slightest snow flurry. It can happen anywhere.
To be fair the chaos when there's 1mm of snow in England is usually caused by people who either can't drive in the snow or have practically bald summer tyres, if I had xdrive I would still get caught up in the chaos unfortunately, but as you point out you prefer xdrive for other reasons rather than for snow

I've never experienced the snaking you mention on the flat in the snow though with sdrive unless I've been too heavy footed with the gas pedal, maybe it's more of an automatic problem? Driving a manual it's easy to control pulling away in the snow, ...luckily I have enough torque to start moving without touching the gas pedal at all if I let the clutch up really slow so not to stall it, this gets the car moving slightly even on summer tyres, but I agree your better with winter tyres especially going up snowy hills
Appreciate 0