06-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #272
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossi1 View Post
Every major UK party has considered leaving the EU /EEC since its inception. The referendum wasn't about the future leader of the Tories, Theresa May, Corbyn, fox hunting or the myriad of policies or political manifestos that make up UK politics.The issue was about being in or out of the EU. It transgresses UK politics but the vote wasn't about UK politics. I guess I could have phrased it a bit better but the response was in reply to your suggestion that those who voted leave were in some way to blame for the current state of the Conservative party and basically you playing the blame game again. They were in a mess when the Tories failed to get a majority at the last general election and from that point onwards.

I actually agree that Brexit talks should have Involved cross party participation and negotiation form the start simply to save the clusterfuck that followed. All political rivalries should have been jettisoned at the door of those negotiations. As it is the process has been completely hijacked. Corbyn only wanted one thing, to get into power through the back door as suggested above, Boris was always going to use ANY fallout to try and do the same. The focus should never have been about any of this but they did their upmost to ensure it was.
I think this ignores the back story to Brexit. The question of whether Britain should be part of the EU has been the biggest policy fault line in the Conservative party for decades. It has absolutely been a key factor in the fate of several actual and prospective Tory leaders over the years.

I do agree (a little) that it's too easy to demonise all leave voters. The Brexit political ideology has been very effectively weaponised, typically by right of centre politicians and media, through certain associations with immigration, 'sovereignty' and economic outcomes. Labour are responding with an equal lack of integrity, prioritising a chance at power over what's good for the country or what those who voted for them want.

The point is that Brexit has become a vessel for whatever parties and individual politicians want to achieve for themselves. Sounds like UK politics to me

Appreciate 1
1 AKY459.00