09-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #197
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
There is always going to be noticable engine braking when your in 1st or even 2nd gear and just let off the gas. I'm not sure why this is a surprise to some. I've never driven a car that would not jolt and significantly slow down at a very fast pace when letting off the gas in 1st or 2nd. This is especially true for performance oriented cars. In the case of a 6MT or an 8AT like the F30, the ratios alone would suggest this is to be expected.

Bottom line, your not really supposed to hang out in 1st gear. It's just for getting off the line. Nor should you really ever downshift into 1st while in motion unless your literally about to stall out in 2nd (MT). If you are in 1st gear at a "normal" RPM trying to stop, then you are better off just going into neutral. It's not worth the stress on the car when you are going 8mph. For the auto's, again there is no reason you should manually flip to 1st until you are at least almost completely stopped.
Interesting, so you're saying the issue is it's just that the geared torque from the engine is significantly higher? Makes sense, but seems like this wouldn't be different from any other car. I would assume that the strange sensation could be the regen alternator braking, which might have some strange programmed behavior (i.e. turn on when going < 30 MPH with throttle = 0%). If you're going 33 MPH and coasting to the stop, the switch on as you get to 30 MPH might be slightly offsetting if you don't expect it.
Appreciate 0