07-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #29
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

[...]

Only done 80 miles so far so can't really say much (yet ) but initial impressions are much the same as yours. Only thing that I'm reserving judgement on are the adaptive headlights with high beam assist. On a dark country road they are perfect and spotted oncoming cars brilliantly. However I had to follow an MX-5 for a few miles and the lights were dancing around all over the place! Some of the time it's as if the lights formed a black box around the rear of the car in front and I thought "wow, that's clever!". But some times the full beam came on and eventually the car in front pulled over and indicated for me to pass - guess they thought I was flashing them (well the car might have been but I wasn't).

[...]
I have to admit that's funny to me, as my daily driver is an 07 MX-5. The fixed HID lights dance all over the place due to the stiff suspension and uneven road surfaces. I've been on the wrong end of more than one road-rage incident from a person ahead of me who thought I was flashing my lights at them. When it was new, it took me a while to figure out what kept annoying people.

Anything that helps mitigate bouncing sharp-cutoff light patterns is a good thing in my book. Even if it helps just a little bit.
Appreciate 0