02-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #16
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
The reality is - these cars are best to lease only - period. Not for long term ownership unless you enjoy rolling the dice.

Evidently in Canada most all BMW's are leased.
Couldn't you say that about all cars though? And forums like these are always going to skew things somewhat - you won't generally hear from all the happy owners who've had many years of trouble free motoring.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur but always felt leasing is a rip off. You pay circa £25k over 4 years for a F30/G20, only to hand the car back with nothing to show for it. Sure you get a shiny new car with the warranty and free servicing (peanuts these days, now that it's every 18 months or so) but personally I'd rather my 2.5 year old 340i for 25k (with a 12 month bmw warranty) that's mine for keeps. At 7k miles when I bought, surely I'd be very unlucky to have a major problem during the next 40-50k miles?

Appreciate your point, in that you get the peace of warranty mind, but damn, you pay for that! I've always patiently saved up and bought outright, and have had ten years in BMWs without major mechanical incident. And if I periodically change for something similar, I trade in/sell privately and have to "only" find 10k every 3-4 years.
Appreciate 0