View Single Post
      01-20-2023, 01:44 PM   #31
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_g View Post
Hi, happy pre-LCI 330d X F31 here. (Apart from the pre EU6 / non LEZ zone compliant engine!)

Couple of points from your earlier posts from my experience

I also came from VAG (about 10 yrs, GTI’s & R’s)

I agree that brakes felt really lacking for me.
New discs, (just Zimmerman plain discs) + EBC Red Stuff pads. Happy with them. DIY install - v easy.

I tried slotted/dimpled on the rear and they are a bit noisy. Nothing too much but a bit of an annoyance at lower speeds.

I understand that braided hoses help with pedal feel - I’ve not done this yet.

Tyres. Mine came with a mix of the Pirelli and Bridgestone RFT’s. I swapped straight to Goodyear F1 Asym 5’s and carry a repair kit and slime / compressor.

I actually tried GY F1 Supersports on the rears last time and regret it now as they wear a lot quicker than the 5’s.

I’ve not tried the GY F1 Asym 2 RFT’s, and I also believe there’s a Conti CSC5 RFT.

Close call between CSC7 and Asym 6 in the new year when I swap back from my CrossClimate 2 winter set.
I also found the original RFT’s to be hairy AF in snow (sorry to see your damage).

Suspension was v v soggy for me. It had done 96k miles and is an x drive (so was on the SE suspension).
I went aftermarket KW Street Comfort, bit harsh NVH wise, but I love the overall look and feel/handling.
I think ACS springs + new B6 or B8’s would be a good option or even better a ACS sport kit depending on budget.
But noting that you want to stay stock, maybe you won’t need anything, especially if you’re S-Drive
It wasn’t just about looks and handling for me, it was literally like the QE2 and pitched massively under acceleration and braking.

Other bits…

Stage 1 remap - massive change - really glad I did. No other engine mods.

Apple car play retro fit via MMI box - well worth it.
Hello sir, thanks for your informative post

This is what I had prior to the 330d. 2007 GTI Edition 30. Such a great car. It's agility and steering feel completely shame the F30 to be frank. It would leave the 330d for dead on a challenging B road, but I have to remind myself I bought the Bimmer for 20K commuting due to a job change
The mileage and heavy stop-start traffic really didn't suit it being a manual and the thirsty engine (27mpg average), so it had to go, sadly. I do really miss it.

As mine as M Sport flavour, I'm actually quite pleased with the 330d's road manners, flat cornering and decent ride quality considering it's on 19s. So I think just replacing worn dampers like for like will suit me. I've used B6s on the GTI and they firmed up the ride a tad too much on rough surfaces for my liking. They might work better on the F30 though.

What I really can't stand is the horrific tramlining of the 19" run flats, which I'm sure is down to the crappy P Zero tyres (the body shop 4 wheel aligned it during the damage repair, and it's still the same). But that can be sorted. I think I will try PS4s as I used them on the Golf and they were good tyres.

The brakes I'm getting used to. The pedal feel is very underwhelming given they are beastly 370mm discs and 4 pots up front, but if stood on hard enough, the stopping power is there. The GTI had piddly little 312mm discs and iron sliding calipers and they have waaaaaay more initial bite and feel than the blue brakes

Anyhoo, I'm not here to run down the Bimmer as I do love it in spite of its minor shortcomings

I've been thinking about remaps, something to look into. It does like to spin up the rear wheels as standard at this time of year, so a remap could be amusing traction wise!

Apple play would be a bonus but all the retrofitting and coding baffles me. I thought all of that was complicated in VAG land, but it's even worse in BMW land!
Appreciate 0