Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
The advice on here is laughable.

S172 is worse than speeding and carries the same sentence as what they were asking you to provide the driver for.

Because of this your insurance sky rockets and the points can be worse
I would be interested to know what facts those statements are based on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Not saying you're wrong but it doesn't make sense to me to allow someone to not name the driver and for the punishment to then be less than would be handed-out for the offence in question.

A £1k fine and 6 points is obviously a big deterrent for refusing to name the driver if the offence was (say) 40mph in a 30 limit. However, for doing the quoted 62 in a 30 I'd have thought the fine could be more than £1k (certainly for a high earner) and potentially it could be a ban rather than just points for being more than double the limit. In those circumstances would simply refusing to name the driver really be an option nowadays?
I agree in principal. It sounds strange that an S172 carries a lesser penalty, but it comes back to the point of criminality. If you don't name the driver then you get prosecuted for a different offence to the one that you may or may not have committed.

For clarity here is an extract from Pattersons Law.
The guidelines for failure to provide details offences will be six Penalty Points on a licence and a fine of up to £1000. There may be alternatives to this punishment if the offence is thought to be a deliberate attempt to pervert the course of justice. Perverting the course of justice is a far more serious offence and carries with it a maximum prison sentence of 14 years.

Last edited by muffking; 11-17-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0