06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #71
Nedmundo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
A lot of people seem to equate feel and weight as the same thing.
Very true. I think some also confuse response and accuracy with feel/feedback, which might partially explain the wide range of reactions to the F30's steering. I tested an F30 328i Sport Line. Its steering has a wonderfully linear response, which produces impressive accuracy. The car goes exactly where you point it, with no "slack" in the steering. But that isn't the same as feedback from the contact patches, which the F30 lacks, especially relative to previous 3 Series cars, which provided stellar feedback and a connected, "locked in" sensation that's largely missing from the F30 IMO.

I've been living with EPS for awhile in my 2010 Acura TSX. Its steering is heavier than the F30's -- even with the latter in sport mode -- but is otherwise similar. It's responsive and accurate, but transmits virtually no information from the road surface. This is my least favorite aspect of the car.

I suspect the F30's steering would produce more feedback with different tires, and that BMW will eventually dial in more feedback to its EPS systems generally.
Appreciate 0