View Single Post
      02-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #17
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabs4 View Post
Since I have the same issues, I took it to a dealership and they quoted me $4200 - replacing Eccentric Shaft, actuator and the gaskets etc.

Is this common? Or is it just that they're not able to figure out the issues so just fixing what they think could be the issue?
I took it to a local indy shop after the shock of losing $4200 so easily and they were not able to diagnose the issue but suggested it could be related to sludge or a blockage of a mesh (I am not very mechanic-savvy so I did not quite get that and since it was on phone I had no way to ask for visuals or details.

I am on my 6th year of ownership and only 71K highway miles. Can it happen due to very cold weather? I researched and a lot of folks talked about cold start issues specifically in colder weathers.

Any initial fixes I can do to eliminate the need to (unnecessarily) get into the $4200 expense?

I ended up paying an indy about 1700, to replace valvetronic motor + eccentric shaft. Honestly, I drove it around for 10k miles an never experienced a hiccup. One day I got the code and decided it was worth looking into, and the eccentric shaft was found to have a damaged gear tooth, ( no performance issues ), but the indy replaced all that for me. I don’t know what could have happened if I kept driving it with that damaged gear tooth but yeah. I wouldnt say there are initial fixes to this. The dealer will need to replace all associated components (you may get away with going to the indy, and them replacing just the valvetronic motor or shaft if damaged, if you also have not yet got your VCG housing replaced, you can get away with having the indy do this work as well, because they needa go into that same area to check the motor and shaft.
Appreciate 0