Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

[QUOTE=loosenit2;13230531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K

I'm sure I'll get flamed a bit for saying this but I agree. Most folks on the boards are BMW enthusiasts and truly believe that BMWs are the best sports cars on the road and that they just happen to have a good bit of luxury to them as we'll. I didn't buy my f30 because I wanted a super fast sports car, I wanted a luxury car that I could do some spirited driving with, and I am in no way disappointed. It is super quiet, even when going 100 mph on the autobahn, the acceleration at on-ramp speeds (20-80mph) is excellent, and the handling is superb, the HUD and technology is wonderful, and BMW has done it all while still getting 30 mpg.

I am positive that BMW could have engineered a much faster car by stripping out a lot of the luxury and not making the sacrifices (turbos have lags and thus some reductions in performance) with the engine but then it wouldn't have been a BMW.

Personally I love the car I got, I didn't want a race car, I wanted a driving experience.
This is by far the best post on this thread so far. I just picked up a 335i Msport xdrive in EB2 with all the options. This will be my daily driver - I will get groceries in it, take people to the opera in it, take vacations in it. I live on the west coast of Canada which is very rainy in the winter. That is one of the reasons I wanted xdrive. I have a friend with a Shelby Mustang GT350 that pumps out 650 HP. He would beat me up in any sort of a track competition. It rumbles, shakes rattle and rolls and sucks up a tank of gas in a heartbeat. Fun! Certainly! But it isn't his daily driver. Couldn't live with it. And driving it when the traction isn't ideal is scary.

The 335i is a car that can be tracked. But that isn't its main purpose. If you want a track car there are better machines out there. That's why these comparo tests are kind of pointless! How about putting a DTM BMW out there, a purpose built race car and then the BMW would come out on top.

In other words, if track times are all that important, buy a race car

Last edited by Agamemnon; 12-31-2012 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0