View Single Post
      08-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #48
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsont View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread but since I just did this repair and the eccentric shaft I give some advice. I used these videos for the installation:

You must put the eccentric shaft in the maximum lift position after installation. I learned the hard way. Also when I used ISTA D to activate the valvetronic motor I did not have enough voltage. You need a little more than 13 volts. It didn't work until I got 13.3 volts on my multimeter. A battery charger won't work. You need a voltage stabilizer. I built a DIY version since a retail version is at least $500 or more.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1262137
Using 2 HP 2 DPS600PB at 13.6 volts, I barely got 13.3 volts when I hooked it up to my car. If I bumped the voltage any higher on the HP's, they would go into self protect and shut off. I actually had to use my battery charger and the 2 HP's to get it to work. I was praying it wouldn't damage the computer doing this so I recommend something better. When I finally got ISTA D to work it went through 160 cycles with car running. Car will sound like it's stalling as it cycles but that is normal. Then 20 cycles with the ignition off, and finally 3 cycles to learn the limit positions.
It sounds like the most cost effective way would be to have another F series BMW running and hooked up via jumper cables.
Appreciate 0