Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Congratulations on the 2015 335 xDrive.

Two parts to this answer:

1. The only way to get the "High Speed Limiter" is to order the car with the "Mixed Summer Tires". This "Mixed" option then allows one to get the 840 increases top speed governor option. This 840 option increases the standard 135 MPH to higher 155 MPH. Standard wheels come as a "square" footprint, or front and rear wheels have same width (8"). The "mixed" is where the rear tires (rim) are wider (8" front, 8.5" rear). This also includes summer tires that are Z rated so the tires are softer, they grip the road better but will wear faster (less miles between tire changes).
2. When ordering Mixed tires, the RWD version automatically defults the 840 option but it can be changed to the ZRT option of "removed increased top speed" when ordered. However, the xDrive defaults to the ZRT option of "removed increased top speed", you have to change to the 840 option when ordering. My guess is that whoever ordered your xDrive kept the default option of ZTR.

I have the 840 option on a RWD version but have never been close to either limit (several times in the triple digits but not above 125). The Z-Rated tires if you stay on top of the tire pressures and alignment can get you 25K on a set where the lower V rated can get you 40K. Aditionally, the Z rated tires carry a premium cost. So I personally would not be too upset. Hope this answers your question.
Regarding the statement that xDrive cars with staggered setup default to ZRT, rather than 840. I have a 2018 340 with xDrive. I have a staggered setup and "Y"-rated tires because I have the Track Handling Package. I know that whoever ordered it didn't do anything to force 840, because "whoever" is me, but my build sheet shows 840, not ZRT. I have not tested anything speed-related because I have not had an occasion to drive fast with it. If it matters, I have 6MT and I got a Shadow Sport build, rather than M Sport because I needed the extra 1/2" of ground clearance at the front bumper
Appreciate 0