edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rphz View Post
I'm not sure at what point this starvation happens as I do 4-5 hard track days and a number of autocross days every year and based on Blackstone tests at every oil change* there are no detectable wear concerns with my N55 in my 435xi. Im run some sort of 200tw tires and go for 20-30 minutes at a time for the track sessions, with 4-8 sessions per day. Current engine has ~40k miles and car is at ~87k miles. I change the oil every 4-5k miles (usually in the fall and late spring) and have done diffs, transfer case, and zf8 fluids at about 60k miles. I'm consistently using 5w-30 BMW oil.

I would say keeping an eye out on engine wear based on oil sample testing would be a good gage assuming things are in good shape when you start tracking the results. Not sure if one day can go from fine to blown engine though?

* Been obsessed and concerned with breaking current N55 engine as the first one spun a rod bearing at 47k miles, prior to all of my track driving and less than 15k miles I put on it since buying used. So, Blackstone gets a fair amount of oil from me My theory on the engine failure was a combination of long oil change intervals, possible hard driving when cold, and Camry cold starts by the previous owner and dealership. Guess it could have just been bad luck too.
You would be the perfect test case with an N55 EWG in an XDrive and regular track days. Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that the XDrive oilpan shape is like a natural baffle guarding against oil starvation at the oil pickup.

You are obviously doing everything right with maintenance and Blackstone oil analysis. See if you can log the oil pressure reading as you are tracking. That should tell you if you are anywhere near to having a problem, or not at all. Please post any data/conclusions that you obtain. There would be great interest in actual data since it's mostly been speculation
Oil pressure cannot be logged. Pressure sensor/switch on OFH is dummy one. One would have to install specific sensor to fallow actual values.
Appreciate 1