joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. F22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Just got off the phone with BMWNA and they confirmed that my 2016 320i is equipped with NBT Evo ID 4.2.

They also confirmed what I already knew (via letter) that my vehicle is not eligible for the upgrade(s) needed to keep ConnectedDrive services active.

Also interesting to note, they did specifically mention aftermarket options being a possibility.

Anyone have insight on the easiest way (preferably software) to upgrade an NBT Evo ID 4.2 headunit to add functionalities including keeping ConnectedDrive operating?
I just want to address some misinformation in this thread in the hopes that others don't use it with their dealership or BMWNA and end up putting their foot in their mouth like me.

NBTEvo is not the ONLY hardware requirement to be eligible for the telematics hardware retrofit BMW is offering. To be eligible, your car needs to be equipped with NBTEvo and a 4G ATM (telematics unit). There is a small population of vehicles equipped with NBTEvo and 3G ATMs (ask me how I know!). BMW is not offering an upgrade path for 3G equipped cars and is deactivating all 3G ATMs next month and removing/blacklisting all associated VINs in their Connected Drive database.

For the ATM, simply go look if the model # on your ATM (mine was in my trunk). If it references 4G you are eligible, if it references 3G you are SOL.

Professional Nav vs. EntryNav vs. the base HU might also be a requirement but I did not have that issue.

One tried and true DIY retrofit path exists to keep all services, which I have PMed you about
To clarify, the cars that were delivered with ID4 NBT EVO were delivered with either a TCB (3G), or a TCB2 (4G). The cars delivered with a TCB2 are eligible for a hardware upgrade that swaps the TCB2 for an ATM. The physical wiring used for the TCB is different than the wiring used for both the TCB2 and ATM, which use the same (OABR/Ethernet).

I've found the tech document linked below to be very helpful. The relevant information starts on page 21. It specifies which models have a TCB vs TCB2.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1441950445
Appreciate 3
Mr. F2228.00
visionaut1308.50
sspade2464.50