View Single Post
      01-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #295
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbox View Post
F34 2014 with ID4. Not eligible unsurprisingly.

I am only disappointed about the loss of e-call. Would pay if I could hold on to just that.

It seems an upgrade is a huge undertaking. From what I can tell there is a 4G telematics unit that they started putting in the F34s in 2016MY but its the old VOIP one. The new VoLTE telematics units have a different number of connectors on them and it appears that upgrading to one would require a lot of other modules in the car to be changed as well. Unsure of what every connector goes to but that is my assumption.

At the very least it seems I would need a new HU which already prices this out of sensible upgrades on my car. Probably too expensive.

Pretty upset that they are not offering any solution. I do wonder though if you did the retrofit would you even be able to subscribe again? I am worried that even popping in a 4G modem won't help as we will be VIN locked out of the services?

I will look at the wiring diagram in ISTA too just to double check what is impacted by swapping to the new modules but I suspect it won't be good.

On a separate note.... Anyone who had this upgrade done know which modules would have to be recoded if we were to do this through e-sys? Really want to avoid any more ISTA upgrades since I have a retrofitted alarm and bunch of other stuff...
The ATM modules are programmed to a specific VIN, and the VIN can't be changed. The ATM VIN must match the VIN of the iDrive unit. The VIN programmed into an iDrive unit can be updated to match an ATM that's been obtained from a parts car. Doing so allows functional Connected Drive services as long as the Connected Drive account is set up using the VIN of the donor ATM.

For your car, you'd need an NBT EVO iDrive unit, an ATM that's VIN matched to the iDrive unit, and various adapters + harnesses to update your existing wiring. It can be done, but it's a lot….
Appreciate 2
visionaut1308.50
meltbox43.00