View Single Post
      08-30-2022, 12:20 AM   #20
washufiddyfo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340GT x-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
lol, just go check out his posts and see if it's a spam or not. literally he post old threads with his YT video and replied to bump up post count to enable PM.

if that's not a scammer trait, then what is?

I am just trying to prevent users here getting scam or spam.
Wait is this dude scamming, self-promoting, or both? I checked out his posts as you suggested, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get so worked up over. It looks like his very first one was a lengthy announcement saying who he is with his with a ton of what appear to be original pictures. Then he adds topical comments to a few old threads, some of which have a youtube link, which at first glance appears to relate to the discussion as well. PM status unlocked!

This is the first I've seen out of the stereotypical scammer, maybe this is a new variant. Usually they show up quietly, propping up appearances with a few low-effort comments on threads that often don't make any sense. Then they are free to troll the classifieds for WTBs, maybe DM you if you commented on another classified, and try to close the deal with a stolen pic. If we're trying to stop scammers, tell everyone that reverse image search is your friend.

Under the charge of self-promotion, it appears new user is indeed posting links to his own videos. Along the lines of checking things out, let’s look at the the youtube channel. I haven’t posted youtube content for money before but I don’t get the impression he’s raking it in off our precious clicks. All the F34-specific content really screams “here’s a guy who knows what car is getting the views, and knows he’s gonna find them on a forum where there hadn’t been a reply to a post in 11 days.” I don't come across many f34-specific videos anyways, often hoping Kies or similar have something close enough working on an f30.

So someone comes along putting up a few videos and he gets slammed for commenting on few old threads with a relevant video. I was offended by all the bold when I opened the site again. The cardinal forum sin has been committed - thou shalt not revive old threads with additional information. I don’t get this one either…the unwritten rules say we have to post new threads instead, to make it more difficult for future users to follow the conversation? What am I missing?
Appreciate 0