View Single Post
      04-15-2021, 08:14 AM   #210
fpladdict
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
The surest way to know if that is the failure is to have a visual inspection of the output flange. It does sound like it, but it's difficult to confirm. Their phrase doesn't tell us much.

I personally wouldn't have it repaired at the dealer if you have a very good mechanic elsewhere. The cost is about right, for a dealer.

Driving gently doesn't prevent this, so that wouldn't matter.
Thank you for the reply and useful information Enabled. I contacted an independent dealer this morning and received the following information from him which might prove useful to UK BMW customers.

- The transfer box is bad for going wrong (you all know this already of course)

- BMW have two quotes that they give to customers either for "the complete transfer box VTG" which is the expensive one I got or "the VTG motor on the side of the transfer box" which is about £1200

- Most affected drivers in my area are getting it repaired at the official dealer as BMW seem to paying a percentage under goodwill.

He recommended I asked the official dealer (where it currently is) about goodwill. I phoned them for an update (they had not contacted me back yet) and they had already applied for a goodwill discount without telling me, there has been no response from BMW HQ yet though.

I have one final question sorry if this has been already answered, I did read the thread but my techincal knowledge is poor. My front tires read 4.0 and 3.8. The back ones read 6.9 and 6.89. Could the difference between front and back have helped cause the failure? If so should I get front ones replaced.

Thank you again.
Appreciate 0