10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by batislav View Post
A rather pretentious statement from someone who seems to disdain BMW boosterism. Hyberbolic analysis of the weaknesses of the f30 isn't going to persuade anyone, nor inspire confidence in your analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of various cars.

People should but the car they like best. If their vehicle makes them happy, it's none of our business trying to impute psychological forces behind their purchase.
Was I trying to persuade anyone? I just said that the F30 has poor steering and isn't as sporty as past 3ers, things that aren't hyperbole, having driven more than a few of every generation of 3er and tried to like and convince my wife she wanted an F30.

I do agree that folks should buy whatever they like though, which is why I initially posted that it's pretentious to claim that just because something is a Cadillac, no BMW buyer would cross shop it, or just because BMW builds something, it must be great.

I'm sort of the caught in my own catch though, my wife had a 135i, was convinced she wanted a new BMW and we really thought the F30 would be great, but after driving it we just didn't enjoy it, specifically the large size, lack of steering feel and non linear feel of the steering, plus just a general since of luxury over sportiness that past 3ers got right. So we bought a goofy, tall E91, aka an E84.

I know I'm in the F30 forum, talking poorly of what is for many buyers, the ideal car. I also realize that in terms of currently available sedans, there isn't a clear cut superior product. I'm simply lamenting that in the past, BMW came closer to providing what Cadillac is now offering, a sporty, relatively minimalist sporty sedan. With time, BMW has crept the 3er into what used to be 5er territory and they're being extremely slow to fill the gap of what the E30 and E46 sedans used to fill.

But who really cares, they're just cars.
Appreciate 0