07-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #115
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Tents are also much cheaper than factories. Musk is innovative sometimes to a fault, admittedly. One thing you can't hold against him is for lack of trying. Tesla is still a relatively new car company. The fact that he is doing more than just reading water is remarkable.
Agreed. I have a like Musk/hate Musk position with him. Having a manufacturing engineering background and spending the early part of my career in manufacturing, I want Tesla to do, and be, the best. I try to buy American-made products (regardless of manufacturer) as much as possible. Two of my BMWs hail from Spartansburg. My Hummer, from Louisiana. Even my Honda MC comes from Marysville, OH. I think Musk is initiative, yet magical somehow to keep all of his companies afloat. No other American auto manufacturer bleeding cash as Tesla does would have survived so long and with zero tolerance from Wall Street. Ford's stock was as low as $5 at one point after the Explorer fiasco, and Ford has a hell of a lot more manufacturing and design prowess than Tesla. I'd like to see Wall Street as tolerant of Ford and GM as they are of Tesla. Tesla gets to innovate like he does because he gets a pass from Wall Street. The CEO's of Ford or GM wipe their ass the wrong way and the stock drops off a cliff.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0