12-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
the other car in my garage is a 135i. Non sport mode - you get the same power / acceleration but the damn traction control kicks in and its just a big herky jerky launch. With sport mode on it lets you lose more traction and doesn't cut in. Same power, same delivery, same note.

Are you saying in sport mode the car runs more rich?
All I know is there is a very noticable difference in the sound of the exhaust on the F30 N55 when switching from Comfort to Sport/Sport+...I always noticed it from the very beginning, but once I got the M Performance exhaust I could REALLY hear it (much like the Challenge video, above). I hear it when revving and letting off the gas as well as some engine braking situations. Since overrun burble is the sound of unburnt fuel igniting and popping in the exhaust system, clearly the car is delivering extra fuel on overrun that it doesn't in Comfort mode. Now, it's certainly possible that it's just a change in the fueling on overrun after lifting off the accelerator, and isn't changing the mixture/mapping at any other point in the engine operation and is merely a superficial change to make Sport/Sport+ "feel sportier" based on the exhaust note. My original question was whether or not it has been substantiated that the perceived perfomance change in Sport was merely a result of less linear throttle response or if more was going on, which is why I brought up the exhaust burble in the first place...since that is clearly a result of a change in fuel mapping, at least on overrun.

Regarding the 135i, one of the features of the PPK for the N55 E90 and 135i was the addition of exhaust overrun burble sounds. In the long F30 N55 PPK thread (Here), there was a 135i owner who commented that his 135i originally had the pronounced overrun burble sound, but after the PPK was released, and his car received subsequent software updates, the burble went away...he posited the conspiracy theory that once the PPK was on the market, BMW eliminated the burble on the 135i through software updates to get people to pony up for the new PPK since the burble sound was touted as a benefit of the PPK upgrade (here is his post)
Appreciate 0