04-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #100
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
I'm sick of this senseless lobbying. Leprechaun, I recognize that you are a relative newcomer so if you own an M3 sedan, my comment is directed elsewhere. If not, buy one or abandon your banal assertions.

I have said it before - this forum is littered with those that beg for new variants (1M), unintended option inclusions (6spd on the e60 M5) or model resurgence (e90 M3) with unwavering commitment to financially justify BMW's design, marketing, and execution expenses. As soon as the cmopany responds to this mass appeal, they are rewarded with complaints, excuses and a real product demand far below expectations.

Recent Examples:

1. 1M: too expensive. can't justify the price over the 135. I could get a used M3 for the same price, etc. etc. You got exactly what you wanted - a new coupe that outperforms a 135 at a price premium (and a warranty thus appeasing the modders) and underperforms a new M3 at a price discount.

2. e60 M5: too much power for the transmission, the DCT shifts faster, its just more practical to get the dual clutch at the same price, the V10 needs the engineered tranny, etc. etc. Fine - agreed - why so adamant about the option inclusion then?

3. e90 M3: bottom line, the sedan didn't meet sales expectations after years (read: entire life of e46 M3) of complaints around the discontinuation of the e36 M3 sedan.

Finally, BMW grasped the illegitimacy of M3 forum members as a barometer for the M buying demographic when they developed the 1M production schedule...Limited production of 3000 with less than 1000 models available in the US - wonder why? I'd wager that you could find over 500 members of this forum posting a "definite buy" prior to reneging or disappearing into cyberspace with wallet grasped tightly in hand. In reality, a 3000 allocation will probably still offer ample opportunity for any patient buyer to procure an ED model.

I agree that aesthetically appalling designs damage brand equity and hurt the company but just allow economic Darwinism to run its course. If folks buy, BMW shouldn't care about one opinion of beauty.

We still don't know what the gran sport will look like or if we'll get an M variant. I, for one, am optimistic that BMW will nail it with my M5 alternative - otherwise I'll buy a CPO F10 M5 to accommodate the new family. Either way, I actually procure my proclamations as opposed to "gran" standing with posts lacking any real tangibility.

Appreciate 0