12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #282
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Much negativity but again no one listens.
The auto industry is a global playing field. This is no longer about you.

BMW used to be a predictable car company we only made exciting cars for the enthusiast driver yet neglected the needs and demands from other customers for exciting cars to allow them to fullfill their daily requirements.

As long as there are new niches to exploit and new markets to explore BMW will continue to expand on the opportunity to appeal to a global audience.
On the contrary, I think the one that is not listening is BMW. But as you said it yourself: "this is no longer about you".

By "us" I guess you mean the customers that were loyal for years to a brand that used to mean something special, right?

I'm not saying that BMW should only make M3's and M5's just to cater to the driving enthusiasts. That would be very stupid and very unprofitable. The problem is that BMW has betrayed their own roots just for the sake of profit and sales volume.

Things like putting an engine from a lower model into an M car (N54 into the fabulous 1M), changing the 3 series coupe name to 4 series just to charge more money, every model gaining size, weight and numbness compared to the previous one, building atrocities like the 3GT and 5GT, building FWD cars, etc... are things that the BMW I used to love would NEVER had done before.

Go ahead and fill every possible niche out there, but do it by sticking to the company's values, not by selling out.

So please let your company know that a lot of "us" will be going elsewhere when purchasing our next car. Good luck with the Chinese.

P.S. For those of you that haven't seen the pic below, it was a real BMW ad. No photoshopping was needed to make BMW look foolish. BTW, the sentence in the ad reads: "That's why we don't have front wheel drives".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0