04-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Going from the Michelin PSS to the BFG R1 is a huge step. Do you have experience driving a non-treaded tire? It's entirely different than a street tire. You'll feel like a grandma out there for a little while until you figure out how to drive them. You might want to register in a run group one down from where you are now, so you can get used to the tires without so much pressure to keep up with everyone else.

I'd email Apex and see what they recommend for offsets. You can also ask a place like Turner.

For tire sizes, my recommendation is to maintain some understeer with a slightly smaller tire up front. If you have some built-in understeer, it's a little safer. Unlike the Michelin PSS, which has progressive grip levels, the BFG R1 will simply let go when you get it over the limit. It's either grip or no grip, that's the major difference between a streetable tire and a tire like the BFG R1.

When I went from PSS to BFG R1, I started to overheat my brakes. I ended up getting some brake ducts installed on my E92, and upgrading to Hawk DTC-70 pads on the factory calipers/rotors. Worked great. Note those pads are highly unsafe on the street, they need a lot of heat in them to function properly. So you'll want to change them out at the track. A PITA, for sure, but necessary.

I'd think twice about the BFG R1 upgrade. Unless you feel like you're not having fun out there, the PSS is a great streetable track tire. Either way, a dedicated set of wheels/tires for the track is economically sensible.

Charles
Thanks Charles for the well thought out reply - it was exactly what I was looking for. I may stick with the PSS for the end of the year. I only plan on doing another 2 day event towards the end of October. I did change my stock brakes to Hawk pads and stainless steel lines with DOT 4 fluid and it certainly felt better than being totally stock but I went ahead and ordered the full M Performance BBK and will use Hawk street pads on them for the street and next HPDE I plan on buying separate rotors and track only pads just for HPDE events up there.

Your comment about upgrading if I stop having fun was the wake up call I needed. I'm still having a freaking blast and I think better brakes will alow me to brake later and have just as much fun. Thanks again.
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0