danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
Did they go back to twin turbo for b58 or is it still twin scroll? Hopefully it's not just a tuned n55 and JB4 can get it into the 420 range with just a tune.
Quote:
This new BMW EfficientDynamics modular engine will share a common design blueprint, with 3, 4 and 6-cylinder inline cylinder arrangements, a displacement per cylinder of 500 cc and very lightweight, thermally optimized all-aluminum construction. The crankcase is very rigid due to its closed-deck design – which means that the cylinder water jacket is closed at the top – while thermally joined, high-strength cylinder liners with twin-wire, arc-sprayed coating save weight, allow greater thermal transfer due to the thinner cylinder wall thickness and reduce internal friction.
The new BMW 340i Sedan inline 6-cylinder gasoline engine.

The new EfficientDynamics 6-cylinder engine is equipped with the latest generation of BMW’s innovative TwinPower Turbo technology, featuring twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision Injection and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing. It also incorporates VALVETRONIC fully variable valve lift.
Looks like an upgraded N55. The press release states a single twin-scroll engine.

However, it looks like it is adopting some of the S55 technologies into the B58: It mentions a closed-deck design, as well as the arc-sprayed cylinder linings for better efficiency. Even the 6-speed transmission features the rev-matching found in the F80/F82 manual as well.

We will have to wait and see until we get more intricate details on the car and engine.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1