View Single Post
      09-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
4momica
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Blacked-out OEM tail lights

I’m outta ideas. My son just bought a 328i a few months ago and had the tail lights blacked-out. I advised against it given that it’s not legal in CA. Within a month he’d gotten a speeding ticket with a fix-it clause for the tail lights.. big surprise.

Now he is finding that replacing them is not as easy as he had expected. Dismantle yards don’t have 2016 tail lights — “too new” they say. Online they are min of $400 and those prob aren’t even OEM. There are “blackline” tail lights all over eBay but tbh I don’t really know if those are CA legal.

We posted all over FB trying to find someone with the same car who wanted “black-out” lights. I see them all over and I know people pay to have this done and yet we can’t seem to find anyone who wants to swap for free. Perhaps we aren’t looking in the right places.

The OTHER option is chemically removing the paint. Can anyone here tell me if there actually IS a way to do this that does not wreck the plastics? I’ve heard carb cleaner may work, gasoline, some kind of lacquer-thinner.... anyone have ANY suggestions?
Appreciate 0