09-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #29
minitechnicus
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 328d xdrive , 2019 X3 30i

X Ice RFT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
Same here with a few differences, I would make Michelins number 2 vice Perellis. And the Blizzak would be number 3 due to the special compound wearing out after 50% tread wear. One perspective I was made aware of is, If I get the Nokian HKPT R2s and for some reason need a replacement, I might have to wait days or even weeks because there are no retailer for Nokians in GTA.

I was all on board for the Blizzak WS 80s until I found out about their special compound wearing out after 50%. The X Ice I-3 are very comparable to the Blizzaks but the blizzaks wear out much faster than the i3s.

If I can source an Ontario Nokian retailer, I will go with the HKPT R2s otherwise I will probably get the X Ice I-3s.
I believe Michelin X Ice is the way to go. The other car we have has a set of X Ice installed in October 2013 so this will be the 4th winter. Thread looks excellent, and considering that we put at least 15k/winter, we are amazed how good is the shape they are still in. (thread-wise)
What is left to be decided is RFT or non-RFT. So far I don't remember seeing X Ice RFT to any of tire retailers in GTA. Have not checked in the last week though.

I wasn't aware of the Blizzak compound wearing issue, but sharing knowledge and tips is one of the the reasons we are on this forum. Hypermile, I implemented few of your mods and suggestions while we were on the other forum, I hope you are glad you jumped the ship. My 328d is fantastic and could not be happier. What a difference !

Cheers
Appreciate 0