United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razinho View Post
2017 F30 LCI MSPORT

Hi

I’m looking for some advice on how I can make my drive feel more comfortable. I love my f30 but ever since I got it one thing just hasn’t sit right with me and that’s how rough the ride is. It just harsh and it’s sucks tbh.

I’m not driving the car on track or anything I use it for everyday day to day use and I feel every bump in the road. It’s such a rough drive. I would have expected it to have been smoother and not as harsh. (There’s not issues with the car)

That’s lead me to trying to figure out what my options are to make it smoother without breaking the bank like crazy.

My current options from research

1. I have 19inch run flats - a lot of people have told me to get rid of the runflats but that’s not so easy… I have four decent tyres and don’t want to just get rid and replace right now - however I’m open to the idea

2. Bilsteins - I didn’t know much about these but I’m told I could change the dampers/shock absorbers. I don’t know which ones will actually help me for a smoother ride and I’ve seen some say it’s made the suspension even stiffer.

- I don’t want to lower the car for any aesthetic reasons so my research so far has lead me to the b6 (but is that the right one for f30 m sport, as I’ve read b8 should be used as it’s slightly lower and as it’s closer to the m sport set up? Could be wrong)

- then question is do I need to new springs as well? Or can I use my existing ones? Would the bilsteins help with making the bumps in the road feel less harsh

Also would I need to change the front and back [...]
The runflats are about half of the harshness that you are feeling. The 19” wheels with their short sidewalls and the stiff stock dampers contribute to the rest of the teeth rattling. Bilstein’s could make it worse.

Even since my wife and I committed to our BMW being our daily driver/family trip car I have been on a mission to make it as smooth and comfortable as possible while still handling amazingly. Below is the mod list to accomplish this:

Koni Special Active Struts/Shocks
Eibach Springs
If >50k miles, replace stock rubber spring perches, etc.
18” wheels, square setup
1st) Stock BMW 400M 18x8.0
with 245/40-18
Later) Apex 18x8.5
255/40-18
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
If I was going all seasons: Conti DWS06+

The Apex/MPS4S setup cuts 11+ lbs/corner of rotating mass for better acceleration and handling.

Also for handling & steering:
H&R Front 28mm sway bar
KC Design Rear 17mm sway bar
Weichers Front Strut Brace
VAC Monoball Front Upper & Lower Control Arms
KC Design Adjustable Sway Bar Links

I started with the Koni Special Actives, Eibach Springs and square non-runflat MPS4S 245/40-18, and the ride improved tremendously.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 7