11-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
3) I assume the perf midpipe is OK sound wise for daily driver? Sound clips are great, but I have never experienced in person which is always better - just don't want it to become obnoxious loudness wise over time & on long trips.

4) Guessing no drone at any RPM range (esp. normal street RPM) due to noise cancellation tech without the midpipe - how about with it?
I can share my input on the midpipe based on personal experience going between non-resonated and resonated. I have a 200 cell high flow CG catted downpipe, so keep in mind that my restriction is less than the OEM downpipe. My downpipe also has a larger 5" diameter which is the biggest and least restrictive catted downpipe in the industry. So this increases volume and aggression as well for me. I used to have an MPE with resonator delete. This has been a fairly lengthy journey for me to perfect my exhaust setup.

If you still have your OEM downpipe, I would feel confident buying the non-resonated performance midpipe paired with AWE Touring. If you have a catless or catted aftermarket downpipe, I would personally stick to a resonated midpipe especially if you are sensitive to drone or any occasional harsh frequencies.

The AWE 180 helmholtz technology is fantastic and really does remove drone, but in my experience, it can't always account for high flowing downpipes (which is totally understandable). I will say that on the highway at cruising speed, there was never any drone, regardless of downpipe, which is remarkable for such an aggressive system. Sport or Sport+ also eliminated it further.

With my CG downpipe, I previously had the non-resonated mid section installed and experienced slight drone, typically only when cold and in comfort mode or around 2500rpm. Nothing that coworkers or my girlfriend/family members ever complained about, and no headaches, but being slightly sensitive I decided to order the resonated mid section just for a bit more internal ear comfort as a daily driver.

I installed this last weekend. This mid piece utilizes an 18" resonator and is primarily included on the N20/N26 setups. However, with a modified downpipe, it is also great for N55's. Volume and aggression is still 90% there, but drone, rasp and unwanted frequencies were virtually removed. The sound is also a bit deeper with a resonator, Comfort/Eco modes really improved the most.

If I ever put my OEM downpipe back on the car, I will probably re-install my non-resonated mid section. If you are sensitive to drone, you could always test the waters with just the axleback and install the non resonated midpipe later on.

Overall - pretty significant improvement over MPE in build quality and sound. There's an F80 with a Remus system that parks in my garage at work, and my setup is definitely more aggressive, louder, and sounds better (IMHO). I love the larger 102mm diamond black tips paired with my carbon fiber diffuser. If you have that itch for something "more" when it comes to your exhaust, this will definitely scratch it.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61621.50