View Single Post
      04-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by valetudo81 View Post
So I recently purchased the Active Autowerks Simon 3 tune package. Considering I didn't see any good information on it in the way of reviews I thought I would start one.

When I received the cable it was packaged well to avoid any damage. It came in a box with a lid. Inside that box was a velvet type material jewelry pouch with a drawstring at the top. Inside of that was the USB cable and the adapter which plugs into the OBD port. This piece seems like it was made very cheap. Having said that I would be extremely careful when plugging it in and disconnecting it.

Once I had everything together I downloaded the Simon 3 software to my computer. After downloading I tried following the instructions for downloading my ECU file. I had zero success with this. I called and spoke with the tech team who told me that there was a different software version that I needed. They emailed me a copy of the download for iBMW.

After that was setup I was able to successfully download my ECU file and send it to AA. The turn around time in my opinion was slow. It took a day and a half to get my flash tune emailed to me.

Once the flash was downloaded to my vehicle I was of course excited to take it for a test drive. I decided to drive it around until the engine temperature was up before doing any pulls. While driving around waiting on this to happen I threw a CEL. I also had numerous service vehicle soon lights and warnings come up. I turned around and headed home to trouble shoot the problem. I hooked the software back up to the car and went to the diagnostic screen to find that my vehicle had thrown 13 codes. I went back over the download process to see if I had missed something and didn't. I erased the codes using the software and returned the stock file to the vehicle and started over. Once I was done with the process the same exact thing happened. After about 5 miles of driving I threw the same 13 codes.

Obviously frustrated at this point I emailed the technical support team at AA. Over a days time I received 2 responses both questioning if I did it correctly. After stating in numerous emails that I had followed all of the information to a T, I received zero response on how to fix the issue.

I was very excited to see how the car would drive with the tune and I have really yet to do that. Upsetting considering that with the same set up I have now the BMS Stage 1 tuner was awesome with my mods and didn't throw and CEL's.

If I ever get this problem fixed I will let update this review. So far this morning I have emailed them yet again to ask what we can do to fix this issue.
That's really unfortunate to hear. In terms of the timelines, that's average I would say. While it's not required for BM3 in most cases, as they collect software versions so not everyone has to wait, unless you're the first with that version. Even then, about a day as well. As for response time, just be patient. Remote tuning is a blessing and a curse. Don't forget how many people they're working with on these tunes and they could just be swamped. The process of creating a tune is no joke!

That being said, I hope it gets resolved and it works. If not, you can come to BM3.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0