12-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #63
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Here's how biased C&D has become.. Note this excerpt from their Ride Sharing article in the same issue:

"Both the M240i and the M2 return by right of having made 10Best last year, and their appeal remains compelling. The similarities between the models get close to confusing; both wear M badges, although the M240i is the lesser M Performance line rather than a true single integer M car, and both are powered by turbocharged 3 liter inline six engines turning (at least) their rear wheels. As such, the $8200 upcharge for the M2 ($54,495, unoptioned) looks at first sight like some kind of outrageous M tax )

I just went to bmwusa.com to equip an '18 m240i similarly to how the M2 comes equipped 'unoptioned'.. Instead of an upcharge, the M2 is over $1000 LESS.. Now which has the 'upcharge'? Whether its bias or fake news, its wrong. The M2 is a good value, period.
You need to post the whole article because that sentence is very out of context. Its setting up the point that while the m240i and m2 are both RWD 2 series powered by n55, the m2 is over $8k more. It can be easy to see that $8k as an outrageous M tax....... BUT after driving the car you realize they are leagues apart. M2 having the m3 underpinnings w/ LSD, more power, more cooling, better suspension, wider track width and tires, as well as lots of cool exterior and interior styling details to set it apart.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00