johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiedood View Post
My 2016 340i is totally stock with 13k miles. It has the M Sport suspension with 18" wheels and RFTs.

The car is my daily driver. I'm in San Francisco where the roads aren't that good. Pot holes, those large plates, light rail tracks. Mild winters with no snow.

I have no plan to mod it atm unless there are options to smoothen the ride without sacrificing handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
If your 340i is pretty much stock and those highway seams are jarring your fillings loose, my guess is that roughly half of what you are feeling is coming from the stock dampers and springs. The other half is coming from the old wooden wagon wheel runflat tires with their ultra stiff sidewalls. There are many varying solutions depending on your priorities.

As others have mentioned, more information is needed to provide you with any useful advice. What year, mileage, adaptive or non-adaptive suspension option installed, what wheels/tires/sizes? Is everything stock, or what mods are on the car? How is the car used- anything from stock daily driver to a weekend track car? What types of roads do you drive and what climate? Winter weather or not? Do you intend any future mods or upgrades?
I've got a similar car with similar poor road issues. 2015 335ix but in Philly with some snow in winter. I couldn't take the jarring of the stock suspension on the bad roads and especially highway seams that thump, thump, thump.

I installed Koni Special Active Dampers. See photo for part# for your car. Koni and McLaren codeveloped the technology. It's like a mechanical active suspension. One valve is based on frequency for handling curves and the other valve handles the frequency from sharp jarring bad roads. It really works. Best of both worlds.

The other change I made after a year of fighting it in my head, was to ditch the runflats. I kept the stock wheels which I like. Went from stock size 225/45-18 to 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Can't say enough about the grip in both dry and wet. And they handle the worst potholes beautifully. Got great advice on this from wheel/tire guru alohasurftoad Read his stuff for excellent advice.

Wasn't that difficult to prep for goflat. Now I keep a few things in trunk compartment. An "8-minute" Slime compressor (about $45 at Walmart). And from Harbor Freight: cheap mechanic's gloves, long breaker bar with 17mm socket and a scissor jack that fits right into BMW jack point on car. See photo. For long trips I throw a spare in the back consisting of a used stock wheel that I bought and one of my old runflats. I just don't want a trip disrupted with having to stop to have a tire fixed or replaced.

Good luck. Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0